Monday, February 8, 2010

It was Tuesday, a big day for me. Two Dr's appts one at ten the next at 11. I was especially excited for the first appointment it was with the internal medicine office, where I hoped to discuss how my thyroid was doing - more importantly was the new dose helping.....and then of course to do a little updating with my pancreas for the last two months. I walked into her office at just a few minutes before ten, signed in and took my seat. I was there with an older gentleman with an accent. A few minutes later two more men joined me in the waiting room. I was trying to lose myself in a Nov. 2009 issue of Country Living, while also leafing thru an older copy of Martha Stewart Living. Then another older gentleman joined the ranks. I think it must have been their low but jolly voices as they greeted the front desk that first drew my attention. Then it was the polite nods they gave each other - and by this time I was feeling like scheduling must have made a mistake. I was no match for this seasoned boys club. Then something changed - out from the inner sanctum of the office purposefully walked a nurse (I am thinking she must be calling my name - I am next, see ya boys!) instead she walked up to the gentleman sitting on a chair over on my right. She extended her hand and grabbed his hand, and said something like this,"How are you doing? I heard the news and I am so sorry." He replied, "Oh am doing okay, thank you." For just brief moment, I let the conversation sink in. And then I spoke, I turned to him and said Hi, and without much more thought came one of the greatest conversations I have ever had with a stranger in my entire life.

I learned that this man had just lost the love of his life just the week before. They were married 67 years, had five boys - all lived within a few miles from them, he had 27 grandchildren, 27 great-grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild. He worked for Geneva Steele with metals and welding, (he even showed me the scars on his left hand pointer finger from too many times getting caught in the saw). After retiring from there after 30 + years he informed me that they hired four guys to replace him! And then Geneva sold it to China. He also told me he won every fight he ever had with his wife, I asked really? He said, Yes I did- I always ended it with "Yes, Dear." He pulled out her picture from his wallet and showed me how beautiful she was - and added she still is. He shared with me how she loved to read and was alternately reading through the Book of Mormonand Bible until she received the book "The Undaunted" for her birthday. His eyes shown as he thought of her loving to read this book. He came upon it the other day and noticed she hadn't finished it, she had 67 pages left. So he said he promised her he would finish reading it for her.
He also shared how he had a fear of the phone, and he would wake every morning by five to do his routine and then be out of her way so when she woke at 7 she could do her routine. A few times he would look far off, and say all I have are memories. He also shared how his wife loved to send birthday cards. He shared how it was a team effort though , he would go to the store and buy them and the stamps. She would write out and seal each card. He smiled with pride as he told me about how many people from family, neighbors, and from church looked forward to her cards.

He also told me that his Dad died when he was very young, so he didn't remember him. His Mom remarried a man that truly became his father, he had a farm in Heber so he mostly grew up there. He shared that he had been in World War II. And asked if I knew who George Patton was, I nodded - he said he fought with him as they pushed further into Austria. He became somber when he said he hated to think about what happened on those front lines. He shuddered as he showed me his hands. He told me some years ago he stumbled upon some information about a reunion for his division and infantry in Pennsylvania. I think it had a posting of all the veterans he served with and one of the men was in Utah. So he said he found this man, who had written a book about fighting with George Patton. When he called his number he said he was only able to speak to his daughter, the man had passed away. My friend with a sigh, said yes there aren't many of us left.

Throughout our conversation, I tried not to be too concerned about the time. When it was 10:20 I did ask the receptionist how much longer, only because I had another appointment down at Utah Valley Hospital- that I could not reschedule. I sat back down by my new friend and resumed our conversation. He shared about the few days before his wife's passing. How the Dr's told him she wouldn't make it through the surgery, she did. How they told him she wouldn't make it thru the night, she did. He shared the she also made it through the next surgery and the next night. And in those few precious days as he sat by her side he shared with me how she even squeezed his hand a few times. As much as I wanted to just stay there and listen I checked the time again, 10:40. I was so mad that I had to leave. I told him my situation that I had to be on time for my next appointment, or else. He laughed and told me how much better he felt after talking. I said me too.
He gave me his name and as I wrote it down, he added his address, and then his phone number. I smiled and said I know you don't like the phone so I won't call you. He chuckled. He reached to hug me as I got up to go. He kissed me on the cheek and I hugged him again. I ran off to my car - tears in my eyes, so grateful for the opportunity I had to be in that office, at just that time and rub shoulders with an angel.

And yes I still have to reschedule that appointment!